This is what he said to me. Just after he told me that Pilates and Yoga was primarily an activity that women do. I asked him why then do the UW-Milwaukee Mens Soccer and Football team regularly attend Yoga classes? He shuffled around his words and said something along the lines of "sport" and then it started to trail off...
This is the same guy that after learning that I was dating a woman proceeded to ask me if I had ever had sex with a man...
"not ever?" he said in astonishment.
"No, and I don't plan on it either," I replied.
"Well, I just don't understand.....In my culture it's just what women do," he searched around the awkward silence.
"Well, Gay and Lesbian people are everywhere, it's 2008....you know, not 2007. Do I need to make a public service announcement about how it's completely REDICULUS to be talking about this shit still?" I said...well, most of it I said.
I just don't know why it's ok to say this shit to a co-worker at all...but one that's only been there for 3 days?, and why I didn't just fucking tell him off, tell my boss right then and there, and walk the fuck out. But instead, I put on my teachers hat and appple sweater, swallowed my pride, and calmly explained to him...gay people.
WTF.
I think we both know the answers to these questions. It's just really been a while since I've been that blatantly beat over the head multiple times by many of my co-workers (he's not the only one who has confronted me about this) with sexism and homophobia. I guess I live in a goddamn bubble.
